LATEST DINING visit the dining review map
Masaharu Morimoto reflects on family, culinary philosophy, and the restaurant realm that has him on a last-name basis with fans in Orlando and around the world.
“I didn’t feel famous. People call me a celebrity? I’m just a chef.”
But, I say, everybody knows you.
“Yeah … amazing, huh?” he says, then erupts in laughter.
Orlando Magazine| February 2018
1921 by Norman Van Aken is, in fact, a love letter to Florida. Chicken from Lake Meadow Naturals, New Smyrna clams, Key West yellowtail, Florida wreckfish and produce from farms mere minutes from the front door highlight the menu.
Agriculture in the state of Florida is a multi-billion-dollar industry, a big business of corporate farmers utilizing massive machines, countless tonnage of chemical fertilizer and pesticides, even computer-guided harvesters and flying drone cameras. There are 48,000 farms spread over 9.5 million acres, according to the Florida Department of Agriculture. The people you’ll meet today are not those farmers.
theater See more
features See more
- Community Foundation of Jacksonville Art Ventures Fund Grant
- Two-time United Arts Professional Development Grant
- Florida Division of Cultural Affairs Individual Artist Fellowship
- Telly Award for best independent video script
- Winner: 2014 BroadwayWorld Orlando Awards, Best Lead Actress.
- Galati Research Grant
- "Playing by the Lake" Festival
- Awesome Foundation grant
- Three-time Florida Magazine Association "Charlie" Award winner, Writing Excellence
- Three-time Artist-in-residence, Atlantic Center for the Arts
- Alternative Programming Chair, Timucua Arts Foundation
- Founding member, GoFLA/Sunshine Plate
- Creator, 13in13
- co-founder, Burry Man Writers Center
- publisher, Spice Maven Press
- Director, The Company of Eccentric Beggars
- Creator, House Theater Project
Pairing small-plate gems and rum concoctions for a memorable experience at Universal’s Sapphire Falls.
Winner, 2017 Florida Magazine Association "Charlie" Award for Writing Excellence