Theatrical experiences begin with reading, improvising on new ideas and new sounds, working the shapes of the words, artists sharing talents and telling personal stories, then putting it on a stage to show the world the result. We're following that path on THE HAYES PROJECT ... with a difference
2020 Dining Awards
21 picks from critic Joseph Hayes and selections by readers in 57 categories.
The Crawl: Orlando
A tour of unique and handcrafted cocktails in Central Florida and the folks who make them.
THE PLAYS See more
FULL PLAY VIDEOS See more
The Jazz Romance of trumpeter Ben "Blue" Miller and Ellie Grace. A story as passionate as the music.
Winner: 2014 BroadwayWorld Orlando Awards, Best Lead Actress, Desiree Perez
I'm an award-winning food writer, travel and feature writer, theater and music critic and cultural explorer. I am available for feature articles and copywriting work, by contract or on assignment.
My other hat is worn in performance spaces, as a playwright and producer, jazz and event presenter and advocate for new, original creative work for in-house and online audiences.
A play by Joseph Reed Hayes is a welcome oasis of cultured smarts." ~ Orlando Weekly
Harris Rosen's Storied Life
Talking restaurants, Khrushchev and Marilyn Monroe with the prominent hotelier.
jazz ON EDGESee more shows and videos at Jazz On Edge
For the year-long 13in13 Project, five very special shows were produced. Three appearances to launch the release of FluiDENSITY by Jazz On Edge regular Brian Groder, with pianist Tonino Miano, with a workshop at the UCF Jazz Studies program, then taking their students out to perform at Taste in College Park. Two days later the debut at the prestigious Timucua White House to a standing-room-only audience, where they persuaded Timucua owner Benoit Glazer to join them on trumpet. Jazz On Edge then took over Hannibal's Lounge in Winter Park for sold-out dinner show with vocalist Heather Friedman. Finally, nu-jazz quartet La Lucha became the live band onstage for a performance of Joseph Reed Hayes' play, Solos, at the Orlando Shakespeare Theater.
The 13in13 series created 13 independent artistic events, written, produced or presented by Joseph Hayes in 2013, with most shows streamed live online; propelled by a successful Kickstarter campaign; creating art with 35 musicians, actors, writers, theater professionals and creative artists; and generating more than $26,000 to local artists, venues and restaurants in the process. It included the premiere Orlando screening of Big Easy Express; the premiere of the play, A Slow Ride; writing and freelance business workshops; spoken word readings; and a photography exhibit.
Groder/Miano at Timucua Arts Foundation
- • Winner, Specific Cultural Project grant, Florida DOS Division of Arts & Culture 2021/22
- • Five-time Florida Magazine Association "Charlie" Award winner
- • Founder Word Play series, former Alternative Programming Chair, Timucua Arts Foundation
- • Creator, Producer, Pompeii's Table series in partnership with Orlando Science Center and Orange County Arts and Cultural Affairs Office
- • Creator, 13in13
- • Co-founder, Burry Man Writers Center
- • Creator, House Theater Project
- • Creator, Jazz On Edge music series
- • Three-time Artist-in-residence, Atlantic Center for the Arts
- • Director, The Company of Eccentric Beggars
- • Winner: Telly Award, Best Independent Video Script
- • Winner: 2014 BroadwayWorld Orlando Awards
- • Winner: Community Foundation of Jacksonville Art Ventures Fund Grant
- • Winner: Two-time United Arts Professional Development Grant
- • Winner: Florida Division of Cultural Affairs Individual Artist Fellowship
- • Winner: Galati Research Grant
- • Winner: Awesome Foundation grant