Joseph Reed Hayes - playwright
32 productions and readings of my plays from coast to coast and in three countries since 2001. From the big stage extravaganza of Tempus to the intimate "living room" drama A Little Crazy, my plays take place on buses and in bars, in hotel rooms and government offices, farmhouse kitchens and jazz stages.
Creator of House Theater Project, live-streaming theater from intimate and non-traditional spaces, called "A very innovative use of technology to expand the definition of live performance" by United Arts of Central Florida, who awarded a Professional Development Grant for its creation; and Jazz On Edge, original jazz events presented in unusual spaces. Creator/curator of 13in13, a year-long series of original, creative events written, produced or presented by Joseph Hayes, which attracted a very successful Kickstarter campaign.
Plays and readings in New York, Florida, Texas, Wisconsin, California, Italy, England and Scotland. Winner: Community Foundation of Jacksonville Art Ventures Fund Grant; United Arts Professional Development Grant 2012, 2009; Florida Division of Cultural Affairs Individual Artist Fellowship; Telly Award; Galati Research Grant; "Playing by the Lake" Festival. Three time associate artist, Atlantic Center for the Arts.
"Joseph Hayes' sense of dialogue and structure, his wit and awareness of the foibles of our society and the humanism that fill the pages of his work make him a true dramatist." — David Amram.
"A Renaissance man..." — Orlando Sentinel
The Jazz Romance of trumpeter Ben "Blue" Miller and Ellie Grace
The illogical logic of relationships and the threat of war in a small citrus town
A comedy about an elderly Russian man's last days with his favorite nephew
Three generations of women take a Sunday ride
A Live Podcast Play for the Season, full of Suspense, Mystery, hi-tech and Pudding
A worn man reminisces about youth, boxing, family and The Metropolitan bar
Meet Ethel, the Pest Elimination Companion.
Ancient Lovecraftian gods or the Federal Goverment ... who is scarier?
Johnny is a bright ten-year-old, who solves mysteries only a kid can understand.
The end of Swing. The birth of Cool. The Old World meets the Jazz Age.
They're young, wild and talented, hard-drinking, hard-living rock stars of their age ... Russia, in 1859.
Ray loves Carly. Carly loves Darryl, but can't remember why. Sandi loves Bill. Bill loves the waitress. James loves his son. Sam hates everyone.
- 13in13 Project: Downtown Credo; Lowndes Shakespeare Center 2013
- Theater Row Studios 2012
- House Theater Project 2012
- Winter Park Playhouse 2009
- Atlantic Center for the Arts 2007, 2000, 1997
- VisionTV, Orlando 2007
- Playwrights' Round Table 2007, 2006
- Valencia College Black Box Theatre 2007
- Theatre Downtown 2006
- State Forensics Competition, University of Wisconsin 2006
- Texas Intercollegiate Press Association Critical Writing Competition, San Antonio TX 2006
- Kerouac House 2006, 2005
- Orlando Fringe Festival 2004, 2002
- Stardust Video 2005
- Downtown Media Arts Center, Orlando 2004
- Beast Festival, Triangle Theatre, NYC 2004
- Lake County Repertory Theatre CA 2004
- Chapters on Park 2004
- Charade Drama Group, Bristol, England 2004
- Jazz Gallery NYC 2003
- Bill Whitney Players Portland, OR 2003
- ATC Fall 2003 Contest for Original Full-Length Plays
- Eyewitness Theatre, Manchester England 2001