by Joseph Reed Hayes
NEW WORKS FOR THE STAGE BY JOSEPH REED HAYES
A contemporary play about Avram, an 84-year-old Russian immigrant, and his great-nephew Harry, and their sometimes turbulent relationship. Winner, United Arts of Central Florida Artist Development Grant.by Joseph Reed Hayes
COMING TO Victoria, BC, Fringe Festival Aug 22, 2019
THE SHORT PLAYS See moreA worn man reminisces about an almost mythical drinking establishment from his childhood near the West Farms bus depot in the Bronx. Telly Award Winner.Checking into a swank hotel, Mr. Thompson finds more than your typical amenities, including individual climate control, on-site fitness center, Internet access ... and Ethel, the Pest Elimination Companion. The Beast Festival, Triangle Theatre NYCAncient Lovecraftian gods or the Federal Goverment ... who is scarier?
IN PROGRESSTEMPUS The end of Swing. The birth of Cool. The Old World meets the Jazz Age.
THE BAND OF DRUNKS They're young, wild and talented, hard-drinking, hard-living rock stars of their age ... Russia, in 1859.
THE LITTLE DICKENS Someone has stolen London's Christmas puddings; it's up to the children of Dickens to solve the mystery.
THE OPERA PROJECT Stay tuned...
Staged reading and workshop, Lake County Repertory Theatre, Lower Lake CA 2004: Brian Williams; Norman Winckler; Frank Perry: Hank Porter; Moira Harris; Frances Leuck; Max Oken. Finalist, "Playing by the Lake" Script Writing Festival 2003
- Winner: BroadwayWorld Orlando Awards • Community Foundation of Jacksonville Art Ventures Fund Grant • United Arts Professional Development Grant 2012, 2009 • Florida Division of Cultural Affairs Individual Artist Fellowship • Telly Award • Galati Research Grant • "Playing by the Lake" Festival • Three time associate artist, Atlantic Center for the Arts.
REVIEWS See more
"Joseph Hayes is one of the new voices that can bring the theater to new audiences. His sense of dialogue and structure, his wit and awareness of the foibles of our society and the humanism that fill the pages of his work make him a true dramatist."
"It takes a particular mindset to be a Renaissance man, someone willing to wear the hats of playwright, music producer, freelance writer, radio personality, spoken-word performer, photographer and self-promoter. All those descriptions would fit Orlando arts advocate Joseph Hayes."
Jim Abbott Orlando Sentinel
"A play by Joseph Reed Hayes is a welcome oasis of cultured smarts."
"House Theater Project will expand the definition of live performance."
United Arts of Central Florida
"The idea is to make the audience think about people other than themselves, to make them feel like they’re overhearing a private conversation,” Hayes says of his play that defies neat pigeonholing. “It’s a comic, tragic nonmusical musical,” he says. “It’s the way people are. It’s real life.”
"Writer Joseph Reed Hayes has two nuggets of gold in A Little Crazy, a quiet little two-man comedy inspired by memories of his Russian Jewish grandfather."
"The briskness of Hayes' comedy, A Slow Ride, belies the title — it's certainly not slow going for an audience."
Chair, Alternative Programming, Timucua Arts Foundation.
Creator of House Theater Project, live-streaming theater from intimate and non-traditional spaces.
Creator/curator of 13in13, a year-long series of 13 original, creative events written, produced or presented by Joseph Hayes in 2013.
A Little Crazy
August 21-Sep 1, 2019, Bēma Productions, Victoria Fringe Festival, Victoria BC
An award-winning comedy about real life (or a drama with some very funny bits).
In Five - a play with music
Timucua Arts Foundation, June 27-28, 2020
The performance of a lifetime. In five parts. Featuring nu-jazz ensemble La Lucha and special guests.
FULL PLAY VIDEOS:
IN FIVE, Timucua White House 2020
• A LITTLE CRAZY, Bēma Productions, Victoria BC Fringe Festival 2019
• A SLOW RIDE, Timucua White House 2019
• Reading w La Lucha, Timucua White House 2018
• DESTINATION MOON, Timucua White House 2018
• BUCKET BOY, Timucua White House 2017
• TOM WAITS FOR NO MAN, Timucua White House 2015
• Reading w La Lucha, Timucua White House 2015
• Reading, Jazz On Edge House Concert 2014
• Reading, Jazz On Edge 2014
• A SLOW RIDE, 13in13 Project: Downtown Credo 2013
• SOLOS, 13in13 Project: Lowndes Shakespeare Center 2013
• IF I HAD MY WAY, Theater Row Studios NYC 2012
• A LITTLE CRAZY, House Theater Project 2012
• Jazz On Edge 2011
• IF I HAD MY WAY, Winter Park Playhouse 2009
• Atlantic Center for the Arts 2007, 2000, 1997
• WEST FARMS, VisionTV, Orlando 2007
• WEST FARMS, Playwrights' Round Table, Valencia College Black Box Theatre 2007
• BUDDHA, MOHAMMED & JESUS WALK INTO A BAR, State Forensics Competition, University of Wisconsin 2006
• WEST FARMS, Finalist, "Notes From the Underground" one-act festival, NYC 2006
• WEST FARMS, Texas Intercollegiate Press Association Critical Writing Competition, San Antonio TX 2006
• Readings, Kerouac House 2006, 2005
• Reading w David Amram, Stardust Video 2005
• SOLOS, Orlando Fringe Festival 2004
• WHAT JAMES LEARNED ON THE INTERNET, Downtown Media Arts Center, Orlando 2004
• TELL IT TO THE BIRD, Beast Festival, Triangle Theatre, NYC 2004
• AFTER TWO, Lake County Repertory Theatre CA 2004
• THE PLANETS ALIGN IN THEIR SINISTER DESIGN, Reading w David Amram, Chapters on Park 2004
• A SLOW RIDE, Kerouac Project Benefit 2004
• A GOD IN ASPECT, Charade Drama Group, Bristol, England 2004• AFTER TWO, Finalist, "Playing by the Lake" Script Writing Festival 2003
• THE PLANETS ALIGN IN THEIR SINISTER DESIGN, Reading w Brian Groder, Jazz Gallery NYC 2003
• A LITTLE CRAZY, Bill Whitney Players Portland, OR 2003
• A LITTLE CRAZY, Finalist, ATC Fall 2003 Contest for Original Full-Length Plays
• A LITTLE CRAZY, Orlando Fringe Festival 2002
• A LITTLE CRAZY, Eyewitness Theatre, Manchester England 2001